Drift School is a chance to get out on track without the pressure of a bunch of cars chasing down your door. One car on track at a time, just get out there and drive a bunch of laps to gain valuable experience.
The main priority is getting that track time but tutors will be there to guide you through what is required as you go, providing tips and advice. They may come for a ride with you to help further or if you wish they can drive your car for you to show you how its done.
Drift School Format
- Small groups alternating on track, cars one at a time.
- Drivers drift the section of track one at a time with tutors assisting with advice and driving tips
- A Track Version 1 used. 2nd gear for most cars, easier for beginners.
- BYO Car. No rentals are available
Weekday morning format sees cars on track approx 2.5 - 3 hours and very limited numbers to help with training. Lower noise limit applies to morning events, loud cars may not be suitable (please contact for details).
Larger/Weekend events (only 1 or 2 a year), run for the whole day and larger numbers with alternating groups on track.
Please make sure to read this whole page before entering to ensure you and your car will be OK.
- Sat 6 April - Full Day
Entries open early-mid march
- Thu 9 May
- Thu 30 May
- Thu 20 June
9:30 - 12:30 on track unless otherwise noted
Morning events limited to 8 drivers to ensure everyone gets good track time
Entry Forms released approx 3-4 out from each event
Entry Fee - $145 per driver
Payment is required early to confirm your space.
Safety gear is available for rental on the day (limited sizes so calling ahead can help)
Double layer race suit - $40
Helmet - $20
If the latest school has filled up and you're keen to get out on track, let us know here so can schedule the right number of days
STANDARD DRIFT SCHOOL REQUIREMENTS:
- Your vehicle must be in a road worthy condition. No wof required but it must be up to wof standard.
- No screamer pipes. Exhaust must exit the bodywork in the rear half of the car.
- Convertible cars must have approved roll protection (contact us for details)
- Rear wheel drive cars only. No FWD/4WD
- Car must not be dripping oil or other fluids (this is very important for your safety and that of other track users)
- Battery must be properly BOLTED down with the positive terminal covered, seat and seatbelt must be in good condition. If battery not in factory position a motorsport approved mounting is required. (This is not the same as Cert)
- Fuel system and battery, if non factory must be entirely separated from the cabin with a sealed firewall or box.
- Oil catch can, if fitted, must be at least 1l capacity if engine size under 2000cc or 2l can for larger than 2000cc engine. All oil breather lines and fittings must be sealed, nothing can allow oil to escape.
- Fire extinguishers highly recommended, must be solidly mounted (bolted to the floor, no screws or mounting to trim)
- Replacement seats/belts must be up to motorsport spec
- If you turn up with a car with unsafe items you WILL be asked to repair them before going on track
- Driver minimum age 16 (or 12 with a motorsport competition licence)
Please note, school car requirements are quite basic but to enter further events you need to make sure your car meets some extra requirements. Please see the have a go day page and contact us if you have any questions on car requirements
It is highly recommended that your car has at least some basic mods otherwise you will struggle to learn:
- Lowered/stiffer suspension
- LSD or locked Diff essential
- Good handbrake and upgraded clutch
- First timers, it is highly recommended you get in touch with some car details so we can provide setup advice before the day
No passengers other than pre organised approved tutors
DRIFT SCHOOL RULES:
- Follow the tutors instructions at all times
- Keep off the grass/dirt whenever possible. If you leave the track do not continue drifting
- No drifting outside zone marked with cones
- Noise will be tested, no cars over 95db will be allowed on track
- Full 100% cotton or race overalls and approved helmet (not DH mountain bike) to be worn by driver and passengers
- If you spin do not stay on the gas
- All track activity is at your own risk, insurance is not provided
If you do not follow these rules you will be sent home immediately
- Please make payments into the Canterbury Car Club bank account 02 0865 0020166 25 please use Drift School as a reference and your name if not coming from your account. Or post to the Canterbury Car Club, PO Box 16-610, Hornby. To make a credit card payment please phone us on 03 349 6003.
You can have 2 drivers in a car but you must both enter separate and each pay the fee
Cars are not provided, you must bring your own. See regulations on this page for car requirements
You will also need a good helmet (motorbike or similar), overalls (100% cotton or flame proof), sufficient tyres and fuel to last the day.
Please Note - There is a maximum number of spaces available, once we hit this number the form will automatically not allow more submissions
By filling out the entry form you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of our track user agreement for open test days which can be found here.
There is no closing date for these days, however there is a maximum number of entries so you are highly recommended to get in early to avoid missing out.
Payment is required to confirm your space at Drift Schools to please get your payments through promptly.
In the unlikely event where this event has to be cancelled due to bad weather you will receive a full refund.
The Canterbury Car Club reserves the right to cancel the event at any time if entry numbers are low, you will receive a full refund if this happens.